[geeks] APC = Amazing Prices for Components!

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 12 00:50:24 CDT 2001

On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 22:42, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> Just picked up a 2200VA 3U rackmount UPS from a coworker. (APC Smart-UPS)
> Not bad for $150...

Dang, I wish I could get me one of those.  I wonder how efficient they
are...

> O.K., pull a pack out (there are two, each made up of 4 panasonic 12V 7.2
> AH batteries, essentially taped together) and see what they look like.
> Hmmm... they have a panasonic part number.  <clickity, clickity> Hmmm,
> look at this - I can get them for (qty 7+, I need 8) $17.75 each!  That's
> around $160, which seems to be *much* less than $500...

Pretty typical.  That seems to be about $100 less than
www.batterywholesale.com, which is where I got my last set of
replacement batteries.  Last set of batteries I replaced was on an APC
so old that they don't even remember about it (only discontinued about 5
years ago).  I much prefer BEST, where I called in for support on a 12
year old UPS, and they just transfer me to the guy who designed the
thing.  :-)
	Greg

P.S.  For $160, I'd replace the batteries anyway.  It's a power backup
system, what good is it if it fails?