[geeks] APC = Amazing Prices for Components!

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 12 00:42:34 CDT 2001

Just picked up a 2200VA 3U rackmount UPS from a coworker. (APC Smart-UPS)
Not bad for $150...

It's pretty much charged up, but the self-test worries me - the battery
failure indications go on during POST.  Hmmmm... I check APC's "battery
trade in" prices.

Eyooooooooowch!  Over $500 for a battery swap.  Madre de Dios!

O.K., pull a pack out (there are two, each made up of 4 panasonic 12V 7.2
AH batteries, essentially taped together) and see what they look like.
Hmmm... they have a panasonic part number.  <clickity, clickity> Hmmm,
look at this - I can get them for (qty 7+, I need 8) $17.75 each!  That's
around $160, which seems to be *much* less than $500...

Ye flipping gods.  I don't mind a profit on replacement parts (Hey, we all
gotta eat!), but over 300% higher than straight retail?  Give me a break.

Well, I'll leave it on overnight to see if the error clears.  If not, I
will be ordering a bulk quantity of batteries...

-Pete

-----
Peter L. Wargo
pwargo at basenji.com
Owner/operator of basenji.com.
"Zamfier has sold more records than the Indigo Girls.  As it should be."