[geeks] Wireless Ethernet

Rob geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 21:08:59 CST 2001

> You have an interesting problem - here is my advice...
>
> Take your access point, your cable/DSL router, and
> your DSL modem *upstairs*, and hook it all up to one
> of your phone extension lines (*before* the DSL
> filter!). This will most likely add wireless
> connectivity to your entire house - mine was the same
> way, AP on first floor = no joy, put it upstairs, and
> all is wonderful!

No good here. I don't have shared line DSL. It's only live on the jack in
my office. No dice elsewhere. All the other access has to be ethernet.

> Of course, I have a network connection between the
> first and second floor, so I was able to keep my
> Cable/DSL router and DSL modem in my Den (Hey, blinky
> lights!)...
>
> You could get an 802.11b "bridge" that will give you
> 10-baseT connectivity to your wireless boradband
> network, but that will cost a fair bit of change (I
> think I saw a D-Link bridge for $150 or so at CompUSA
> a month ago...)...

This could have merit. The access point has good coverage up until the
upstairs landing so, I just need a couple more feet of coverage.

> I ran Coax (sue me, it was what Ihad that was long
> enough) out the roof of my Den, across the attic over
> my garage (my Den is where a third car garage would
> be), then up to the attic over the house, and in
> through the ceiling in my wife's office, over her
> closet.

If I must then, I must. If all else fails, I'll run regular ethernet
though the house to the upstairs and settle for mobile laptop downstairs
only.

> My house is 30+ years old.

My house was build in 1915. The addition where the office is is only 6
years old but the guy in charge of running the phones was a moron. *SIGH*.

> Hope this helps,

It helps much. Thanks.

- Rob