[geeks] Wireless Ethernet

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 20:50:28 CST 2001

You have an interesting problem - here is my advice...

Take your access point, your cable/DSL router, and
your DSL modem *upstairs*, and hook it all up to one
of your phone extension lines (*before* the DSL
filter!). This will most likely add wireless
connectivity to your entire house - mine was the same
way, AP on first floor = no joy, put it upstairs, and
all is wonderful!

Of course, I have a network connection between the
first and second floor, so I was able to keep my
Cable/DSL router and DSL modem in my Den (Hey, blinky
lights!)...

You could get an 802.11b "bridge" that will give you
10-baseT connectivity to your wireless boradband
network, but that will cost a fair bit of change (I
think I saw a D-Link bridge for $150 or so at CompUSA
a month ago...)...

I ran Coax (sue me, it was what Ihad that was long
enough) out the roof of my Den, across the attic over
my garage (my Den is where a third car garage would
be), then up to the attic over the house, and in
through the ceiling in my wife's office, over her
closet.

My house is 30+ years old.

Hope this helps,

Ken
--- Rob <rstaab at panix.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get wireless ethernet running through
> my house now that I
> finally have DSL. (It took 7 months to provision)
>
> Anyone done this before?
>
> The problem is that while it works fine on the first
> floor, it doesn't
> reach the second. Thus no Netscape in bed. This is
> unacceptable.
>
> Does anyone out there make a wireless ethernet
> repeater or an extra
> powerful transmitter?
>
> Running cable upstairs isn't an option since
> unfortunately since the house
> is so old there's no where to snake the cable.
>
> - Rob

=====
Ken
n2vip at yahoo.com