[geeks] Wireless Ethernet

Kurt Mosiejczuk geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 08:53:09 CST 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Rob wrote:

> > Take your access point, your cable/DSL router, and
> > your DSL modem *upstairs*, and hook it all up to one
> > of your phone extension lines (*before* the DSL
> > filter!). This will most likely add wireless
> > connectivity to your entire house - mine was the same
> > way, AP on first floor = no joy, put it upstairs, and
> > all is wonderful!

> No good here. I don't have shared line DSL. It's only live on the jack in
> my office. No dice elsewhere. All the other access has to be ethernet.

Just wanted to echo Ken's sentiment on making the access point higher...
I've got one of the Linksys Wireless Cable/DSL Routers, and I can't
remember whether it was actually the manual or another source that talked
about putting the access point above or at the same level as all areas to
use it for best reception...  maybe you can't move it upstairs, but have
you tried putting it up on a high shelf in your office?

--Kurt