[geeks] Re: [rescue] RE: Small schools.& elections

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 19 22:20:07 CDT 2001

jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:

>Since we are discussing religion and politics, I've moved this to geeks.

>In this day and age of monstrous amounts of CPU cylces going unused, isn't
>it time to use a text editor that pretends to have a brain?

I prefer to use a minimal environment, and get by on old-enough-to-be-free
hardware. :-)

>For instance, in the two emacs (I don't believe in keeping only one copy
>of emacs open) that I have open now, one of them is managing the white
>space in some python scripts (python was meant to be edited with a smart
>editor, I kid you not), and provides a class browser.

>The other is opened to a C++ project.  It takes me to build errors, does
>syntax highlighting, and highlights the current code in the GDB.

>I'm sure you've heard these things before.  I understand prefering vi's
>keysequences to emacs chords, but what makes people prefer such a lack of
>features?

Asceticism.

It's similar to the reaction most people here probably have to "user
friendly" dialog boxes that want you to confirm everything you do.
"Just fucking do it!", you know? I don't want my editor to try to be
a smart-ass.

My desktop environment is super-ascetic too. I don't believe in icons
or title bars.

-- david fischer -- dave at cca.org -- www.cca.org -- Cthulhu told me to. --