[geeks] Wish lists

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 27 08:48:07 CDT 2001

Amy,

Agree with you on all points - the Voyager was an indulgence, pure and simple. My SPARCbooks are never taken out of the house for the very reason you mention - pitiful battery life.

My SB 3GXs get light work as reference Solaris machines, but are, in reality, shelf queens. I like them, but I don't have a need to use them in a portable situation (although I may wind up using one as a short-term intranet web server at work, due to the minimal footprint, built-in UPS,and the "cool" factor ;^).

I (like you, IIRC) was quite fond of the Librettos (I have an L50 and an L110), but the burgeoning Carpal Tunnel Syndrome pain i my right wrist was caused, I think, by the pointer in the L110...

My newest portable machine is a Toshiba Portege 3020ct (10.4" screen at 800x600, P/300 CPU, 96 Meg RAM, and a 6.4 Gig HD - but wrapped up in a unit the size of a 3/4" think stack of notebook paper, 8"x11"). The Thnikpads are nice, some are *real nice*, but too expensive when *my* money is involved...

Ken