[geeks] Wish lists

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 26 11:56:20 CDT 2001

As a man with both, a Voyager (Thanks Pete!) and *two* SParcbooks, I can tell you that the Sparcbook is a more affordable machine.

The RAM for a Voyager in *unavailable* - at any price. Custom only to Sun, only tihs machine. I wouldn't even think about touching a Voyager without *MAX* RAM (80 Meg). HD is trivial, but expensive ($400 for a 6.4 Gig HD, or about $200 for a SCSI<->IDE adapter) for either system.

Sparcbook uses low-profile 72 pin RAM, up to 64 Meg easily, the leap to 128 Meg is over $1K.

Batteries for the Voyager are hard/impossible to find - SParcbook batteries are available from Tadpole still ($150?).

The Voyager is supported under Solaris 7, currently the Tadpole is supported under Solaris 2.6 for free, via FTP from Tadpole - Solaris 7 support is available for a price (several hundred dollars, IIRC).

The Voyager is cool, the Sparcbook is much more practical.

A SB 3GX would probably be about $600-800, depending on RAM/HD/accessories, a Voyager is anybodys guess, the market is so thin on them. A SB 3GS would be about $200 less, from what I have seen.

Ken
(No, I am not offering to sell my SPARCbooks or Voyager)