[geeks] Wish lists

Chris Byrne geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 25 18:55:09 CDT 2001

The thread on Bill finally getting his SS1000 (congrats on the great find
Bill) has brought up the subject of "wish lists" in my mind.

So anyway here's my "realistic" wish list i.e. I actually have a chance in
hell of getting this stuff some time soon.

SS voyager, 12" color 80mb. I just like the idea of a sparc laptop. One of
the SparcBook/tadpole systems would do as well, but they're a hell of a lot
more expensive.

SS20/514 with 512mb. I'd like it just to have a quad processor pizza box.
And hell it's still fairly zippy. I'd like to try it out as a server.

Question, what are the absolute fastest (sun, weitek or other) dual mbus
modules that can be used in quad configurations for the SS20?

Fully Loaded NeXT Turbo Cube with the big monitor and the optical drive. I'd
love the nitro, but they are ultra rare, or even the Pyro but I dont know if
any were ever shipped. This one is just for the cool factor. I remember when
I first saw the Next Cube with the worm drive in a magazine. It was probably
the first ocmputer I really lusted over.

A nice dual or quad Alpha workstation with 512meg and a good graphics
subsystem. I love the alpha architecture and I'd like to try out recent
Tru64 and OpenVMS.

Digital, like Apple, 3com, and Xerox are (or were) great companies that have
the amazing ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The Alpha
could have been a HUGE success if they had done anything right with it.

A BeBox, or failing that one of the dual processor mac clones with a bunch
of RAM. I really want to run BeOS on a system that can take advantage of it.

SGI Octane 2, dual 400mhz R12000A, 8gb.... okay at $60k+ that's not gonna
happen anytime soon I admit, but I'd really love a nice SGI system since my
wife made me sell the O2's. I figure I can get a nice dual r10k octane for a
reasonable price within a few months.

A good middle of the road RS/6000 with plenty of ram and 3D graphics that I
can play with recent AIX on.

I'm drooling waiting for the 2 way Athlon boards to come out later this year
along with the faster DP G4's. I'll be the first in line to grab either you
can bet on it.

I'd also like some big iron, but that might be a little more difficult to
accomodate.

A big (processing power wise not necessarily cabinet size) vax or any of the
large scale (8 or more processor) SMP Alpha servers from any maufacturer
with a decent amount of RAM that's capable of running OpenVMS. I have a
thing for Large Scale SMP, and I'd really love to have an honest to god
enterprise class VMS system.

An SC2000 with 16 processors or an SS1000 with 8 and a ton of ram. Again
with the big SMP fetish ;-) Same question as with the SS20, what's the
fastest processor avalable for the 1000 or 2000?

A Cray of any kind as long as it works and has software. That one's just for
the cool factor I admit, but I really would love to own any large scale
vector processing system, a cray, a fujitsu, a hitachi, a thinking machine
etc...

A hitachi storage array. Theres no chance I'd be able to get a newer one any
time soon, but some of the older Fredom 5000's are coming on to the market
for pretty reasonable prices.

An Adic tape library and robot.