[geeks] power requirements of SS1000?

Corda Albert J DLVA geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 25 18:24:08 CDT 2001

Oops... I should have done a google search just before
I posted this. I _did_ do a bit of newsgroup mining,
along with a number of google searches (and altavista,
and...well, you get the idea) over the course of a
month or so back when I picked up my first SS1000 (around
December). At that time I was unable to find anything
significant. I remember spending a day ferreting through
docs.sun.com without much success...

Thats all water under the bridge, though. The important
thing is that the info is available now. (although I
can't help wondering why I didn't spot it earlier :-)

BTW, I now have 2 SS1000 systems with 8 CPUs each. One
is filled with SM61 CPUs and around 0.8Gb  mem, and
the other has 6 SM81 and 2 SM71 CPUs and around 1.2Gb mem.
Unfortunately, I only have 4 Gb hard disks in each, since
I'm currently hard-disk poor :(

I need to try current monitoring one of them with a clamp-on
meter to see what the current draw is. As I only run the
critters when I'm using 'em, power use hasn't been a
factor for me. (yeh, I know I should leave them on, but if
I left everything I had on continuously, then Virginia would
be in the same boat with Califorina and it's energy crisis :-)

Overall I'm quite happy with the systems. I'm in the process
of trying to get them to play nicely with my SGIs using FDDI.

-al-

Bad URL, but this works:

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/Servers/Midrange_Serve
rs/SPARCserver_1000/

First thing that comes up on Google when you search for
+"SPARCserver 1000"

Bill
--
Bill Bradford