[geeks] Wish lists

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 25 19:58:29 CDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Chris Byrne wrote:

> A Cray of any kind as long as it works and has software. That one's just for
> the cool factor I admit, but I really would love to own any large scale
> vector processing system, a cray, a fujitsu, a hitachi, a thinking machine
> etc...

Actually thinking machines aren;t vector processors.  They are MPP MIMD
(Multi Intruction Multiple Data) machines.  I guess they can do vector
processing well, but they are also more flexible.  Vector processing is
also known as SIMD (Single Instruction Multiple Data).

Well, the CM-1 and CM-2 are at least.  The CM-5 is a MPP variation of some
existing machine (SPARCs maybe?).  Anyway, there is a really good web site
about the CM-2 and CM-1, but it is bookmarked on my home computer and I'm
not there right now. The CM-2 (or 1) is a machine I would dearly love to
own.  I think the CM-5s are rather passe.

--
Joshua Boyd