[SunHELP] Sun Netra T1 105 as a workstation?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Fri Jul 19 02:44:07 CDT 2013

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013, Peter Stokes wrote:

> Hi Cory
>
> On 19 Jul 2013, at 08:28, "Cory Smelosky" <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

>>> this
>>>
>>> My only criticism is the t1 105 is a bit loud. If you don't mind that then
>>> it's a reasonable box if you can find a PCI framebuffer. Being a
> single-CPU
>>> it's not the fastest Solaris bvox the world ever knew but they do a decent
> job
>>> with Sol 10. Your biggest issues is RAM, as they use the mezzanine boards,
> not
>>> DIMMs.
>>
>> Loud?!  My microwave oven is louder! ;)
>>
>> I do definitely need to track down mezzanine boards with more RAM. 64M is
> very tight. ;)
>>
>> Hmmmmm.  I'll see if I can find a PCI framebuffer.
>
> I would not waste time looking for a frame buffer card, just go for serial
> port and use remote Xwindow or VNC, pretty straight forward.

That's what I'm thinking I'll do.

> You should be ok for 2.5.1 through to 10, but 64mb is way too little in
> reality, suggest a couple of 128 or 256 boards, max is 1024Mb, but you will
> need 512 or the specific 4 x 256 stack. I have some if you are stuck, but I am
> in the UK, so may not be most economic solution.

Yeah, I know 64M is extremely tiny. ;)

Thank you for the offer.  I will keep it in mind if I get stuck.  I don't
imagine shipping would be too absurd.  It wasn't that much to get a 12"
single sent here. ;)

> That is for sure given the power consumption.....

I can't run it except for in the winter. ;)

I've replaced it with some V210s temporarily.  Half the power usage.

> Peter

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects