[SunHELP] solaris live upgrade issue

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jun 25 00:40:33 CDT 2012

On Jun 22, 2012, at 01:07 , Shannon wrote:

> [ I think my original message got zapped by that autoreply loop ]
>
> I have a PC server running Solaris 10 and want to apply patches.
>
> I tried to create a new BE but its failing with an empty dataset name, and I
cannot figure out why. I have checked the zfs properties for the current root
and none are empty and all look correct.

I figured this out.

In case it might help others:

A boot environment in Solaris must have /, /usr, and /opt in order to work and
for the LU tools to function.

You can run /opt relocated and shared, but its a frequent source of problems.

My issue was that I had /opt outside of the primary BE and didn't realize it
was not configured to be shared.

I moved it to the BE's root and was able to patch a new BE and upgrade without
issue.