[SunHELP] Best way to copy ZFS filesystems across network?

Brian Richman bjrichus at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 17:46:52 CST 2012

Not quite what you asked for, but steps 11 and 12 might be a help:
http://icesquare.com/wordpress/how-to-improve-zfs-performance/

I've not seen
"mirror ... from one box to another", using anything else other than something
like rsync. It would be interesting to know if anyone does this using a
'proper' mirror with one disk on one server and the second on another!

I bet
performance would stink if it was possible if the interconnecting LAN was
anything like busy and/or the file sizes were large!!
<microcode at zoho.com>
2012 11:58 AM
>Subject: [SunHELP] Best way to copy ZFS filesystems across
network?

>I want to mirror several ZFS filesystems from one box to another.
I was
>going to use rsync because that's what I usually use. Is there any
advantage
>or disadvantage to using zfs send/receive? It seems weird to me you
have to
>take a snapshot to send something but I guess the incremental
snapshot
>sending would be as good as rsync after that.
>
>If anybody has done
this I would be interested to hear how you did it and
SunHELP at sunhelp.org