[SunHELP] SunHELP Status Update

Mark Benson markbenson at mac.com
Sun Dec 2 06:37:34 CST 2012

On 30 Nov 2012, at 00:09, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I just posted a news item to the site, one of the longest I've done in a
> while.  Please take a look; I would love your feedback.
>
> http://www.sunhelp.org/2012/11/29/still-here-still-going/

I'm glad to hear you're starting to get your mojo back, Bill :)

I for one have always and will always continue to support the SunHELP lists. I have got help with and far beyond the Sun sphere of computing from these lists and their members. Arguably the SunHELP community has fuelled my overall interest in non-consumer technology and introduced me to 'real' computers. When I started out I was a PC jockey who'd dicked with Linux a bit. Now I'm a sysadmin for a small company with 10 years of experience behind me and a lot of what I've done there is based off what I learned here.

Sadly due to Oracle's general ignorance and poor attitude, my Ultra 60 and SS20 lie dormant, for hobbyist purposes, in favour of DEC and HP Itanium gear that I can legally run OpenVMS on for free with a Hobbyist license, even as an emulation on consumer hardware. I personally tend to feel that if Oracle are giving us the middle finger we ought to do the same to their copyright guidelines but I appreciate a community site can't operate on that basis for legal reasons. It appears HP still get it (albeit under duress from a very active community), IBM do too, so why not Oracle?

I sincerely hope we can continue forwards and make a future for Sun hobbyists even if Oracle won't lend a hand. How, well I'm not sure but I think you're on the right track at least.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>