[SunHELP] buy firewall router or use SB100 and ipfilter

Stefan Hames rsh5 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 8 12:37:51 CDT 2009

Thanks, Andrew. The SB100 would be the dedicated machine. I've got
two Sun boxes and a couple of Macs on the network behind it. I
figured I'd be lucky to get $100 for the SB100 on eBay, and that's
the price of the routers (actually a bit less...)

Best,

Stefan

>From: Stefan Hames <rsh5 at cornell.edu>
>"
>" Hi All,
>"
>" I just wanted to get some opinions on whether to buy one of several
>" brands of "security" routers/firewalls (say Cisco RVS4000) or to use
>" my Sun Blade 100 running ipfilter. The Sun Blade runs at 500 mHz,
>" IIRC, has an 80 gb 7200 Seagate HD, and 1.5 gigabytes of RAM. I have
>" a new Sun 1000 Base-t card I could put in it. I'd like the firewall
>" or SB to fit immediately after my cable modem and before my gigabit
>" ethernet/Nwireless network.
>
>run ipfilter anyways, if you have any net-visible daemons like ssh.
>
>imho you'll be more secure if your computer is -behind- the firewall
>instead of -inside- it; attackers would then have to crack both the
>firewall and ipfilter to get in.  this may be excessive if all you
>have is the sb100, but the more you have on your home net the more
>sense a dedicated fw makes.

Stefan Hames, PhD
Research Associate
Conservation Science