[SunHELP] buy firewall router or use SB100 and ipfilter

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Sep 8 12:07:46 CDT 2009

" From: Stefan Hames <rsh5 at cornell.edu>
"
" Hi All,
"
" I just wanted to get some opinions on whether to buy one of several
" brands of "security" routers/firewalls (say Cisco RVS4000) or to use
" my Sun Blade 100 running ipfilter. The Sun Blade runs at 500 mHz,
" IIRC, has an 80 gb 7200 Seagate HD, and 1.5 gigabytes of RAM. I have
" a new Sun 1000 Base-t card I could put in it. I'd like the firewall
" or SB to fit immediately after my cable modem and before my gigabit
" ethernet/Nwireless network.

run ipfilter anyways, if you have any net-visible daemons like ssh.

imho you'll be more secure if your computer is -behind- the firewall
instead of -inside- it; attackers would then have to crack both the
firewall and ipfilter to get in.  this may be excessive if all you
have is the sb100, but the more you have on your home net the more
sense a dedicated fw makes.