[SunHELP] Sirius Internet Radio on Solaris/SPARC 9/10

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Mon Jan 7 12:12:57 CST 2008

Francois Dion wrote:

> No, else I could try it out. Plus, streaming is not allowed at my
> workplace in most instances. But basically, streaming is streaming.
> You just go to the sirius web page, log in, select your channel (
> http://www.sirius.com/sirius/servlet/MediaPlayer ). Using firefox,
> associate the stream by saving to disk and open the file with vlc. Or
> another easier option with firefox, with this plugin:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446 makes it trivial I
> would think. Once the stream starts it'll (the plugin) ask for the
> association, no need to save to disk or anything. Assign to vlc.
> Should be good to go.
>
> I believe that blastwave has vlc. If not, there's a pkgsrc version out
> there and SFE (pkgbuild) version. There was a discussion on the
> opensolaris frosug (french user group) list just the past week or two
> about that, particularly the pkgsrc version. Even if you cant read
> french, the URLs should be in there. Read up on SFE SPEC files on
> opensolaris.org too. Hundreds of from source spec files
>

> Might look at this too:
> http://mak.zopelabs.com/xplay/
>
> Let me know how that works out.
>
> Francois

Hi Francois:

Ok.  I see that I was missing an addon for Firefox; which is different
from a plugin?!?  Anyways, if you have the MediaPlayerConnectivity addon
for Firefox, then the missing plugin icon flashes and then you see the
MPC icon.  I click on that and I can see 2 streams.  Clicking on a
stream opens VLC (if you have it configured that way).  But, pressing
play and no sound again?!?  I'll have to take a look at xplay.  But, I'm
wondering why no sound with either javascript or vlc.  I have the Audio
Control set to line out.  Is that setting not respected?

Rodney