[SunHELP] Sirius Internet Radio on Solaris/SPARC 9/10

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 14:39:26 CST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 2:05 PM, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:
> Francois Dion wrote:
> >
> > Cant you use vlc directly? Or at least save the stream file and open
> > that with vlc?
> >
> > Francois
>
> Hi Francois:
>
> Are you a Sirius Internet Radio subscriber?

No, else I could try it out. Plus, streaming is not allowed at my
workplace in most instances. But basically, streaming is streaming.
You just go to the sirius web page, log in, select your channel (
http://www.sirius.com/sirius/servlet/MediaPlayer ). Using firefox,
associate the stream by saving to disk and open the file with vlc. Or
another easier option with firefox, with this plugin:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446 makes it trivial I
would think. Once the stream starts it'll (the plugin) ask for the
association, no need to save to disk or anything. Assign to vlc.
Should be good to go.

I believe that blastwave has vlc. If not, there's a pkgsrc version out
there and SFE (pkgbuild) version. There was a discussion on the
opensolaris frosug (french user group) list just the past week or two
about that, particularly the pkgsrc version. Even if you cant read
french, the URLs should be in there. Read up on SFE SPEC files on
opensolaris.org too. Hundreds of from source spec files

Might look at this too:
http://mak.zopelabs.com/xplay/

Let me know how that works out.

Francois