[SunHELP] OT: windows server question

Javier O. Augusto javier.augusto at gmx.net
Wed Nov 7 13:53:11 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 07:38 -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Javier O. Augusto wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 13:39 -0700, stephen price wrote:
> >

> >> Is it possible to have a registry entry or "something"
> >> that will keep a nas cifs share attached at all times?
> >>  With no one logged on?
> >
> > Stephen,
> >
> > As far as I know that's what the DFS service is all about.
> > Unfortunately for you, I've never tried it "against" SAMBA shares so a
> > little bit of samba-doc reading might be useful..
> >
> > Hope it helps :/
>
> I'm not clear whether DFS does what you want (my impression after a
> cursory scan of relevant documentation is that it doesn't), but one
> thing you should be aware of is that DFS comes standard only with server
> versions of Win2K and above.  On a workstation version of Windows, it is
> not available.

Hi Phil,

Microsoft sells the Distributed File System Service as a way to
replicate shares in a simplified "couple of clicks" fault-tolerance and
stuff.. Back in the day, people used to gather lots of Server shares
across the network in a single point, the DFS root...(ala AndrewFS).

Stephen previously said he has a W2k Server...

"I have a nas cifs share that I need to have
semi-permanently mounted to a w2k server - no matter who is logged on -
or logged off"

So, on that w2k server, fire off DFS service and "try" to get the Samba
share under your DFS root (you should be running Active Directory
previously)

If that doesn't work for you, try to get (for free as in beer) Services
for Unix from Microsoft, this should give you an NFS service

./J