[SunHELP] Apache Tomcat will not server pages properly on Solaris 9

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Wed Jan 10 14:31:34 CST 2007

Reed Stoner wrote:
> I've been having a heck of a time trying to get Tomcat to
> serve up jsp pages on a Solaris 9 system.  I'm using
> Tomcat 5.5.20 with JDK 1.5.0.08 and the mod_jk
> connector 1.2.19 and also using Apache 2.2.3 to serve
> the none jsp pages.
>
> The problem is that when you connect to the jsp page all
> that is displayed is the raw code for the page, it doesn't
> seem to be rendering the Java.   I can't providea link
> because it is an internal only website.
>
> I have checked, double checked and quadruple
> checked my configuration files.  According to
> everything I've found on the Google I have everything
> right.   If you connect on port 8080 the Tomcat welcome
> page is working but none of the examples.  A review
> of catalina.out, mod_jk.log, and httpd.log show no
> discernible errors when stopping, starting or serving
> the pages.  I removed the JDK  with pkgrm and reloaded
> it with pkgadd with the package downloaded from Sun.
>
> I've Googled the heck out of the problem and can't find
> a solution that works.  I'm starting to believe  that
> when I compiled Apache I left something out. (I only
> complied it with the default options) I can't find anything
> on what options Apache needs to be complied with so
> that Tomcat will work properly.  Can someone point
> me in right direction?  Also can anyone recommend a
> good resource for setup and administration for Apache?

I have several servers that have apache "fronting" for tomcat. As far as
I know, all apache does is to redirect to tomcat when the URL matches an
expression in the mod_jk.conf (or whatever you choose to call it).

Unless you have disabled tomcat's ability to serve pages directly, you
ought to be able to eliminate apache as a potential problem by
connecting directly to tomcat on port 8080 as you mention. If you have
problems there, then I think you should be looking at your tomcat setup
not apache.

Steve