[SunHELP] RE the EMC array migration question

listmail listmail at triad.rr.com
Thu Sep 21 10:23:51 CDT 2006

EMC was comfortable with San Copy involving the FC4700 in the beginning,
several months ago..

This was a recent response we got from our EMC representative:

------

XXX,

I had left you a message yesterday, but had not heard back so I wanted
to follow-up with an email.  As I stated in my voicemail, the project
team had requested that a Senior Solutions Architect take a look at your
environment and the use of SAN Copy to migrate data.

 /*/_The SSA found that SAN Copy will not function within XXX's
environment.  Given that fact we will need to go back to the the initial
plan of setting up mirrors via LVM._/*/

If you would like to speak with you and determine how your would like to
proceed.

---

While this email response leaves things open to us as to what is the
actual cause for that determination, I can safely say that a FC4700 and
CX500 connected to the same Mcdata DS-24M2 fabric would not be the cause
for this determination.  Since San Copy is not a host based operation,
the hosts themselves aren't contributers to this determination.  The
verbal communication was that the flare releases were incompatible which
lead us to believe that perhaps earlier code levels between the FC4700
and CX500 would have been compatible.

We went through EMC upgrading every array to the latest flare releases
and figuring out what they needed to do to install San Copy.  Items such
as trying to install an enabler on the FC4700 when an enabler was only
needed for the CX series, installing a regular CX version of SAN COPY on
the CX300 when internally there was a special version "_E" that was
needed on the CX300.  The CX500 did not pose any trouble.  Yes after all
that, the communication was finally made that San Copy only needed to
exist on the CX500.

Here on-site, we do not have the experience with San Copy to say one way
or another, we can only count on EMC. In the meantime we had to come up
with a viable alternative in order to allow us to press forward.  We've
had this CX500 array on site since April '06 and I've only communicated
a small portion of  what has been involved over the past serveral
months.  We invested enough of our time under EMC's guidance for this
migration. If our installation was much larger, I may be compelled to
continue pressing for San Copy as the solution, but now it is time for
us to push forward with the solution that is working for us today. Good
luck on your endeavor and I would like to know how things turn out for
you, so please keep me posted.