[SunHELP] REPOST: rsync for one time Oracle data migration to new array

listmail listmail at triad.rr.com
Thu Sep 21 09:31:19 CDT 2006

I really appreciate the response.  Since posting I've actually rsync'd a
40gb mount point on our dev environment
which contains two E-business middle tier installations. I accomplished
that in about 1.5 hours total. rsync worked
wonderfully once again.  We are up and running in dev on the new fs
testing and things look good so far.

We have multiple servers mostly 20gb or less in the production
configuration. Being able to have visibility
to two arrays at the same time allows me do the migration in stages (per
server) and still keep the original
sources on standby.

 > One option you might want to consider for the Oracle databases is
 > leveraging your normal backup strategy to get the new system
 > completely built and tested before the final data migration/cut over.

Yes, and fortunately the dev environment is separate and a clone so I
can do those tests with no impact to current
production.

 > Another thing to look at to reduce load on the busy live file systems
 > is using Solaris' snapshot capability (fssnap).  The Solaris snapshot
 > system is somewhat akin to Veritas', but has the downside that the
 > snapshots don't survive across a reboot.

I made it a point in the original design to have the busy datafiles on
completely seperate LUN's, all the other mounts
are low reads and text log writes and should be tolerant of the rsync.