[SunHELP] Reconfiguring an A1000

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed May 24 17:28:13 CDT 2006

On 5/24/06, Werth, Dave <dave.werth at garmin.com> wrote:

> I don't understand what Alejandro meant by 'run an explorer'.  Could you
> please explain?  And of course creating file systems is part of the
process.

There is a tool, called "explorer" available from Sun that basically
collects all the configuration info from a server and stuffs it into
an archive which can then be mailed.

This is often the very first thing a Sun SE will ask for if you call
about a problem with your servers.

>From my perspective, key things to have in another electronic
location, over and above a known good backup, would be:

a) original "metadata" -- either metadb copies or however your RAID
manager deals with such info (i.e. what disks are in what RAID group,
how they are sliced if it's a partition based RAID manager, etc)
b) related configuration files -- vfstab, VTOCs and which devices have
which VTOCs

The suggestion of labelling which old disks go into which slots is a
good one as well.

Good luck with your upgrade.

=Nadine=