[SunHELP] Reconfiguring an A1000

Brigance, Leslie V, WWCS lbrigance at att.com
Wed May 24 14:59:54 CDT 2006

one of our highly paid Oracle consultants, in the past with smaller
disks (4GB or 9GB),  had me configure our oracle arrays as 8k blocks &
128k stripes.  With today's' larger disks (36GB or 72GB) they recommend
double bubble - 16k block size and stripe size of 256k. Also to stay
away from RAID V for anything with high I/O. Works marginally well for
stuff that is mainly Read, but mixed or mainly writes use striped and
mirrored.
You now have about the sum total of my oracle expertise.
>From the SA's perspective I can tell you that I have been surprised at
the performance improvement
since we went to Solaris 9.
Les