[SunHELP] actual, not average CPU load?

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Mon Mar 6 11:43:08 CST 2006

> Speaking from my experience, you are asking for a miracle.
> There are good performance tools available, but anything
> which gave you the kind of accuracy and timing you are asking
> for would carry so much overhead that the tool itself would
> distort your information to the point of uselessness.
> Hopefully others have better options/opinions for you.

I'd agree with this, and add the following -

Average CPU is a fine measure unless you are working with a real-time
system. Since Solaris/SPARC is stable up to 100% CPU load, if a
momentary resource hog consumes the system it doesn't matter. The
average system response time is going to be reflected by average CPU
load. Human users aren't very sensitive to brief load spikes. If you
*are* dealing with something that is very response-sensitive then Unix
is probably not the OS you should be working with.