[SunHELP] Xsun without mouse and keyboard?

Chris Anderson christop at charm.net
Sat Sep 3 14:48:53 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 20:57 +0400, Valeriy Yankin wrote:
> Dear subscribers,
>
> I am a Solaris newbie, and I have a question on my recently Solaris 9
> 12/02 x86. How do I run the graphics without a mouse and keyboard? I
> mean how to start Xsun if I have no peripherals? It is necessary
> because in the corner there my server resides there is no room for a
> keyboard, and as for the mouse, I don't have a spare one. I plan to
> display CDE on a Windows PC with Exceed.

You can't run Xsun.  You can run a window manager / session manager on
the Sun which manages the X display on the PC.  I've never done this
with CDE + Exceed, but I have done this with KDE, GNOME + Cygwin.  With
Cygwin on the PC, run xinit.  That will give you a display which can be
managed by the Sun.  On the PC, use xhost +<sun-address> or xauth to
allow X clients to access your PC's X server.  Telnet/ssh to the Sun,
use the DISPLAY=<pc-address>:0.0 env var to use the display on the PC,
then run "kdestart" or "gnome-session" or whatever is used to start a
CDE session.  For example, this command: "DISPLAY=192.168.0.10:0.0
kdestart"