[SunHELP] Setting backspace key

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Tue Jul 19 17:01:30 CDT 2005

Quoth velociraptor ....
> On 7/19/05, Sheldon T. Hall <shel at tandem.artell.net> wrote:
> > Phil Stracchino writes ...

> > > Because I know I can safely combine erase, intr etc. in one
> > > command, but
> > > I just wanted to make damn certain 'sane' gets applied before
> > > it starts mucking with anything else.
> > >
> > > Possibly needless paranoia, but....
> >
> > When it comes to UNIX, no level of paranoia can be termed
> "needless."
>
> Particularly when dealing with the root account...booting off of
> removable media is such a PITA, it's so danged slow.

Particularly when your choices in removable media are (a) the
two-versions-old CD back in your office on the other coast, or (b) whatever
you can download over the WiFi hotspot at Starbucks down the block and burn
on the flakey CD-R drive in the WinXP laptop the company makes you use.

Story time!  20 years ago, when I worked for Crosstalk, we had a product
("Remote2") which was much like PC Anywhere would eventually become ...
except it only did text mode.  The company argument was that doing graphics
mode over 9600 baud modems (in 1985) was too slow to be usable.

"It's quicker than flying across the country," was my reply.

We eventually did graphics mode, but it was too late.

-Shel