[SunHELP] what hardware/architecture do you use for dns and web?

Bob Ababurko ababurko at adelphia.net
Thu May 13 02:36:45 CDT 2004

Hello-

   I am in an interesting position in at my new place of employment to
influence the choice maker(s) in the hardware that will be implemented in
their transition.  Right now they are running Linux based hardware which I
am not all that happy about....but hey its a job  They like Linux due to
the its cost effective nature.  I have told them that I believe we can do
this with similarly priced Sun hardware, which can be had on ebay for
comparable costs...... but do not know what will be required.
   What I would like to know is....would something like the Ultra 1 be
sufficient to run a primary DNS, with a second for secondary or would
something more be needed.  The DNS will mainly be used for a large
announcement list...(so, alot of lookups)  Also, what would an Ultra 1
running apache run like?  Maybe I could get anyone or everyone to post on
or off list, to reveal what hardware/architecture they are running and what
kind of performance/numbers they are seeing(for both DNS and web).  I
realize that Ultra 1 are not very high performance but, I figured I needed
to start somewhere since cost is definitely a factor.
   I would very much like to be administering Solaris boxen at work, so any
help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
/bob