[SunHELP] passwd command

Nigel Trivass trivass at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 04:34:41 CDT 2004

   Could anyone enlighten me on the following problem.

   When running the passwd command against a username - logged on as root
   - i am being prompted to enter a password e.g.

   [root at sys01 /etc]# passwd -f ntrivass
   Password:

   The nsswitch.conf is set correctly:

   #
   # /etc/nsswitch.dns:
   #
   # An example file that could be copied over to /etc/nsswitch.conf; it
   uses
   # DNS for hosts lookups, otherwise it does not use any other naming
   service.
   #
   # "hosts:" and "services:" in this file are used only if the
   # /etc/netconfig file has a "-" for nametoaddr_libs of "inet"
   transports.
   passwd:     files
   group:      files

   Permissions are set correctly:

   # which passwd
   /usr/bin/passwd
   # ls -l /usr/bin/passwd
   -r-sr-xr-x   1 root     sys        23500 Mar 19  2003 /usr/bin/passwd
   I have not seen this behaviour before, can anyone advise?

   Thanks

   Nigel