[SunHELP] Re: SS10 - need help with SCSI

David Strom dstrom at ciesin.columbia.edu
Wed Aug 4 11:25:53 CDT 2004

Sounds like things are under control, but thought you or other SS10
owners might be interested in this.

These people have a few 2GB narrow SCSI disks, *unused*:
http://computerclearinghouse.com/cats.php?man=SEAGATE+INTERNATIONAL&cat=DISK+DRIVES+SCSI

and, they quoted me a pretty good price, though I haven't yet gotten
around to buying any (yet), since I have several drives that seem to
work OK.

Also, you *can* install Solaris 9 on the SS10, as the Sun4m systems are
supported in Solv9.  Installed fine on my SS10.  Wouldn't bet a whole
lot on Solaris 10 support, though. What's nice in Solaris 9 is the
inclusion of Openssh as standard, supported Solaris components (e.g.,
SUNWssh packages).  Since we finally abolished Telnet, we're using Solv9
on SS5s & SS20s as terminals to access our Sun servers.

Oh, and someone said that they had a problem with a TFT monitor, iirc.
We've noticed some problems with 19" TFTs and the TGX card, sometimes
the monitor doesn't think there's any signal, but causing some activity
usually wakes things up & we can use the TFT's analog input.

Note, I'm not affiliated with the company I referenced.

--
David Strom