[SunHELP] Fail to boot up

Yogesh Deshmukh yogeshd at aftek.com
Thu Apr 22 02:15:36 CDT 2004

See attacted file
----- Original Message -----
From: "T.Balamurugan" <murugan.bala at kla-tencor.com>
To: "The SunHELP List" <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 12:31 PM
Subject: RE: [SunHELP] Fail to boot up

> is you hard drive recognized?

Problem

I have a HP PC with Solaris 8 and when I boot it, or try to, it tells me
that it "cannot create /var/adm/utmpx". What do you think is the problem.

Solution

You can boot into single user mode boot -s

And run the wtmpfix tool. NAME
(i.e.)
 /usr/lib/acct/wtmpfix  /usr/lib/acct/fwtmp
or
 /usr/lib/acct/wtmpfix  /var/adm/utmpx

I included the man page to facilitate you.

    fwtmp, wtmpfix - manipulate connect accounting records

SYNOPSIS
    /usr/lib/acct/fwtmp [ -ic ]

    /usr/lib/acct/wtmpfix [ file ... ]

DESCRIPTION
    fwtmp reads from the standard input and writes to the  stan-
    dard  output, converting binary records of the type found in
    /var/adm/wtmpx to formatted ASCII records.  The  ASCII  ver-
    sion is useful when it is necessary to edit  bad records.

    wtmpfix examines the standard input or named files in  utmpx
    format,  corrects  the  time/date stamps to make the entries
    consistent, and writes to the standard output.  A hyphen (-)
    can be used in place of file to indicate the standard input.
    If time/date corrections are not performed, acctcon(1M) will
root at wsqeap01 # man wtmpfix
Reformatting page.  Please Wait... done

Maintenance Commands                                    fwtmp(1M)

NAME
    fwtmp, wtmpfix - manipulate connect accounting records

SYNOPSIS
    /usr/lib/acct/fwtmp [ -ic ]

    /usr/lib/acct/wtmpfix [ file ... ]

DESCRIPTION
    fwtmp reads from the standard input and writes to the  stan-
    dard  output, converting binary records of the type found in
    /var/adm/wtmpx to formatted ASCII records.  The  ASCII  ver-
    sion is useful when it is necessary to edit  bad records.

    wtmpfix examines the standard input or named files in  utmpx
    format,  corrects  the  time/date stamps to make the entries
    consistent, and writes to the standard output.  A hyphen (-)
    can be used in place of file to indicate the standard input.
    If time/date corrections are not performed, acctcon(1M) will
    fault when it encounters certain date-change records.

    Each time the date is set, a pair of date change records are
    written  to /var/adm/wtmpx. The first record is the old date
    denoted by the string "old time" placed in  the  line  field
    and  the flag OLD_TIME placed in the type field of the utmpx
    structure. The second record specifies the new date  and  is
    denoted  by the string new time placed in the line field and
    the flag NEW_TIME placed in the  type  field.  wtmpfix  uses
    these records to synchronize all time stamps in the file.

    In addition to correcting  time/date  stamps,  wtmpfix  will
    check  the validity of the name field to ensure that it con-
    sists solely of alphanumeric characters  or  spaces.  If  it
    encounters a name that is considered invalid, it will change
    the login name to INVALID and  write  a  diagnostic  to  the
    standard error. In this way, wtmpfix reduces the chance that
    acctcon  will  fail  when  processing   connect   accounting
    records.

OPTIONS
    -ic   Denotes that input is in ASCII form, and output is  to
          be written in binary form.

FILES
    /var/adm/wtmpx
          history of user access and administration information

ATTRIBUTES
    See attributes(5) for descriptions of the  following  attri-
    butes:

SunOS 5.8           Last change: 22 Feb 1999                    1

Maintenance Commands                                    fwtmp(1M)