[SunHELP] U60 won't boot 64bit Solaris...

Gereon 'Jerry' Stein gereon at sonnenblen.de
Thu Apr 1 03:38:45 CST 2004

Greg wrote:

> Gereon 'Jerry' Stein wrote:
>
>> Any attempt to "force" it to load 64bit OS leads to:
>

> How are you "forcing" it?

Load the missing 64bit kernel into /platform/sun4u/kernel/sparcv9 (esp.
using patch 112233-11)

After _n_ installs, the default installation routing loads all of the
64bit modules except the kernel itself.

>> krtld:error during initial load/link phase
>> panic - boot: exitto64 returned from client program
>

> That looks like trying to boot the wrong path.  To force a 64-bit boot
> you boot from the file "kernel/sparcv9/unix", no leading slash.

The machine tries this automagically if the respective kernel files are
present in the /platform/sun4u/kernel/sparcv9 directory. I need to
remove these again (by booting an install CD and mounting the root fs)
to get the machine back to 32bits

> BTW, the message was simply letting you know that either a file could
> not be found or a symbol was missing, swapping hardware was unnecessary.

That was what I was hoping for, and why I did several reinstalls with
different versions of Solaris. None of them would come up with 64bits
after the install, while all of them do if I install on an Ultra2 (or my
U5 and U10 workstations, for that matter...)

So if the install routine does not even attempt to make 64bits the
default, there needs to be something wrong, doesn't it?

I'm swapping the machine now; curious to see what will go wrong next...

Thanks,

Jerry