[SunHELP] Re: Quad ethernetcard

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jun 26 20:16:51 CDT 2003

"From: Patrick Marquetecken <patrick.marquetecken at pandora.be>
"
"I just got sparc4 with 64mb ram. The idee is to use it at home as server, for collecting mail, proxy, firewall, file serving and so on. The machine has a quad ethernet card, is it possible to connect my home users directly to the quad ethernet card and le0 to the internet?
"If so how do i configure it, i think i have to setup some kind of routing but have no idee where to start, normaly i always connect from a port to a hub.

yes, you can do all that.

with late-model solarii it's easy to set up as a dhcp client and do
file service etc, though mail is easier if you get a static ip...

there's a little more serious mojo involved with setting firewall s/w
and a dhcp server for your home users up.

there's free software for everything you need that doesn't come with
solaris.

"From: Hichael Morton <mh1272 at yahoo.com>
"
"each of the four interfaces on the quad card will need to be configured
"and working.
"to go from nic to nic, you will need a crossover cable.
"
"in multi-homed hosts, i always set the obp setting, "local-address?",
"to "true".  this is probably not needed but is my practice based on our
"network.

this is a bad idea, as the mac is supposed to id the -machine-, not
the -nic-.  it has come about because peecees didn't come with nics
built in, so cards had to have macs.

"From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
"
"You will need to configure routing on the machine, yes.

you will probably need to -de-configure- routing, as the firewall
software should handle this through nat.

i'm assuming that your internet connection allows only a single
computer to hook up.  nat hides your entire network behind the
firewall's ip.