[SunHELP] Moving a DiskSuite array

Hichael Morton mh1272 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 21:15:29 CDT 2003

if moving the md.cf file entries to the machine b doesn't work, you
should be able to recreate the layout on the new machine.  if you cause
disksuite to initialze the disks, you will lose the data.

we lost our disk suite md setup after a power outage.  we rebuilt the
partitions from the md.cf (saved on another machine and a hard copy in
the machine's file) and recover everything.  thankfully, the partition
information was intact in format and format information could be used
also to rebuild the md configuration.  (we use the same slices for data
and the same slices of metadbs  on each disk we place under disksuite
control.)

swap holds a lot of stuff that is used by the os to control the system.
  if swap is striped and a stripe dies, the os will die also.  the os
will not reboot (properly) because the swap in the vfstab will not
exist.  the kernel in solaris 8 does some extremely sophisticated things
and a lot of the tools we now use are based on information in swap.
swap is very important these days.

the sysadmin courses have information on this as should the solaris
system administration guides.

on a test machine, create swap on a striped volume and then test it.
pull out a drive in the swap striped volume and see what happens. record
you findings and put it in your summary.