[SunHELP] .Profile is not my Friend

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Thu Jun 12 08:55:16 CDT 2003

> If you are indeed using /bin/sh, have your shell changed to tcsh
> instead (if you are using Solaris 8 or better, then tcsh is
> included by
> default - see /usr/bin/tcsh.)
>
> After your user entry in /etc/passwd is changed to reflect the use of
> tcsh for your account, then make sure your .login file is in
> your home
> directory and then log in. Barring any specific path issues in your
> login, everything should then work as you were used to.
>
> /ek
> http://elektronkind.org/

	You are exactly right in the fact that my old shell was tcsh.
Switching to that shell makes things work it would seem. Thing is, I don't
want to switch over to that shell. I want to make sh work and I want to
figure out how to write a .profile file. Not to start an editor war, but I
never learned vi as well as I should have until recently. I knew I should as
it comes with all *nix and can save your butt, but I was a Pico guy. Well
now a couple of disasters down the road later and I have finally started to
feel my way around vi. I am starting to look at this as the same situation.
I should learn to make a .profile file because a lot of the systems I am
asked to look at are running just an sh shell and changing that may be to
hard.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org