[SunHELP] .Profile is not my Friend

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Wed Jun 11 15:24:03 CDT 2003

	All,

	Back in my school days (only a year ago but I like that phrase) I
had a really cool .login file I used with my Solaris login at school. It had
a lot of stuff aliased and other useful stuff I had figured out. I drop it
into my profile on my new sun machine and I get bupkiss, nadda, nothing.
	easy enough to figure out. I am logging into a different shell that
is not friendly to .login, it wants a .profile. A quick experiment shows
that their is no love renaming .login to .profile (never know, might have
worked).
	I did a little googling for a listing of the variables in .profile
and what I can do with it. I can find some sample .profile examples on
google, but the rest of the stuff is all marketing and other crap. In other
words to much noise to signal in that quest.
	So to the crux of the question. Does anyone have a good resource for
how to write a .profile script. I am particularly looking at making a
history, so that the up arrow allows me to scroll through past commands, and
I want to alias the backspace key when I telnet in to be actually a
backspace. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org
http://www.whro.org