[SunHELP] Unable to access internet from solaris 8 system...

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Tue Jun 10 16:06:02 CDT 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:24:31 -0400, "marvc" <marvc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Can someone assist me with a problem I'm having trying to get my ultra
> sparc to access the internet? I can ping all W2K, XP, & linux internal
> resources fine. I can also access my web pages fine as they reside on a
> linux server that I'm hosting on my internal network. I can ping and do
> nslookup any external resources by name or IP. I'm assuming DNS is
> working properly because of this. Can anyone give me some pointers on
> where to look to resolve this? It's kinda frustrating to study for the
> cert without being able to access the internet.

This is from my Sol9 notes. I'm using a fixed IP address. Local
machine/hostname is "ra" using IP address 192.168.0.44. My router is at
192.168.0.1.

/etc/nodename contains the hostname of the machine (not the FQDN). e.g.
ra

/etc/netmasks contains one line:
192.168.0.0	255.255.255.0

/etc/hosts contains, well, the usual stuff. The line for my machine
includes both unqualified and FQ hostnames.
127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.0.44	ra.local.domain ra	loghost

/etc/hostname.<interface> contains the unqualified hostname. In my case
that's /etc/hostname.hme0 and it has the same contents as /etc/nodename.

/etc/nsswitch.conf includes a line that says:
hosts:	files	dns

If you're using NIS you need to add "nis"... check the manuals for details,
but it should be pretty obvious. You want to resolve using the least global
methods first (e.g. files, then nis, then dns) -- don't want to search the
internet for a local machine before checking locally, eh?

/etc/resolv.conf contains DNS nameservers (one per line) and the local
domain. e.g.

nameserver	192.168.0.60
nameserver	192.168.0.1
domain	local.domain

resolves using my local DHCP server, then my router.

I don't claim this is definitive or even correct, but it seems to work for
me.

---
We are too proud to fight. -Woodrow Wilson 1856-1924