[SunHELP] 8_Recommened patch cluster problems

Solaris Neophyte solarisneophyte at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 23:59:33 CDT 2003

--- Robert Novak <rnovak at indyramp.com> wrote:
> Also, realize that the recommended patch clusters are not guaranteed to
> work or to be optimized. If you want optimal results and the highest level
> of performance and compatibility testing, you want the MU or Maintenance
> Update. Recommended patch clusters are just the current set of public
> patches for an OS release, and as the README files say (or used to, at
> least), they are NOT tested for interop between patches.

alright, my solaris 8 install was fresh.  nothing was added, and nothing was
taken away.  i installed the 87mb patch cluster.

i'm still getting opposing views.  everyone else i'm taking to is saying
Hichael Morton's remarks are wrong.  this is a summary of what was said.

"No, this info is quite wrong. The patch dependencies are resolved when the
cluster is built and placed in the patch order file in the cluster."

I think Hichael is confused when i'm talking about patches.  i'm not talking
about individual patches... i'm talking about the entire large cluster.

i was also told, since i didn't run the first update in single user mode, that
that might have corrupted certain elements within the OS, and tht a fresh
reinstall would be the best option.