[SunHELP] How Do I......

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Jun 3 13:49:59 CDT 2003

 Michael A. Turner says ...

[some stuff about RAID and volumne spanning about which I have no clue]

> 	Secondly. Many moons ago when I was working on my degree I learned
> how to send my X windows sessions from the sun servers at school to my
> desktop remotely.  This, I found out, was not a terribly good thing over
> dial-up so I gave it up and just did it command line. My boss on the other
> hand is not as bright as me and needs a GUI. Can anyone point me
> to the docs
> on how to do this again? I would love to earn the Kudos for
> setting this up.

Do you want to show the boss the X stuff on his Windows PC?  If so, do you
already have X server software for the PC?  (Remember, in X nomenclature,
the thing you sit in front of is the "server" while the distant host runs
the "clients").  Is he sitting in front of something besides a PC?

I'm running X over both local network and distant dialup.  At 128k ISDN
speeds it doesn't totally suck.  At half that it's bearable if you don't run
some dimwit testeditor that either flashes the cursor or has a status bar
that it updates with every cursor move.  I'm using XFree86/Cygwin on Windows
2000, but I've also used X-Win32 on W2K and W98.

Tell me more about your set-up and I'll see what I can do to help.

-Shel