[SunHELP] More X remote Goodness

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Thu Jul 24 16:03:37 CDT 2003

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 04:22:55PM -0400, Michael A. Turner wrote:
> > 	I have gotten X windows to work over VNC. I get in and
> everything is
> > running, but it looks like holy hell. I have tried to start
> afterstep, along
> > with other ones, once it is running but I am told that
> their is already a
> > windows manager running. Frankly I am at a loss. How teh
> hell do I get this
> > to run a different windows manager other that this suck ass
> defualt X
> > windows?
>

> First of all, look and see how X is being started.  You can generally
> start the window manager of your choice from your .xsession file,
> assuming the system is set up to honor it.  You can also configure the
> running window manager to give you a menuoption to start your
> preferred
> window manager, but that must be done from within the window manager
> itself so that it can "pass the baton", so to speak.
>
> What is your host OS again?  I've forgotten.

	WHAT you expect me to provide info to help with my problem!?! you
are like a crazy man!

	 Actually my bad. It's Solaris 8. I think I found the correct file.
it's xstartup in the .vnc directory inside my home directory. I changed twm
& to dtwm & and now I can start different windows managers. I have managed
to start afterstep and windowmaker and something else that was funky. Now
the problem is I have no idea which file starts what manager as most do not
clearly say which is which, or in the case of Gnome I hade to start
afterstep first and then when I started it I got a big heaping helping of
nothing. Anyone know which file starts the CDE desktop? That is the one I
think I want to make default for this. I am so close I can almost taste the
sweet coffee of victory.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org