[SunHELP] Solaris 9 on sun4m?

David Strom dstrom at ciesin.columbia.edu
Wed Jul 16 08:05:48 CDT 2003

I get the digest emails from the SunHelp mailing list, and I saw a
couple
of posts regarding Solaris 9 on a Sun Sparc Classic system -
specifically
that it wouldn't run.  For example:

"
I was saying that Solaris 9 will not run on a Sun Classic, as it is not
the Sun4u architecture.
"

I'm confused, can someone clear this up?  I'm running Solaris 9 on a
Sparc
20 desktop (employer too cheap to buy new desktops ;-), dual SM71 cpu,
448MB, 9GB 7200 rpm disk, TGX+ video.  That's Solaris 9, 12/02 release.
Co worker has installed Solaris 9 4/03 release on his SS20 desktop.  The
SS20 is a sun4m architecture, like the SS5, SS10, AND the Classic and LX
systems.  What am I missing?  Seems like Solaris 9 should run on the
Classic.  Not 64-bit, of course, and maybe slow if you're running a
windowing desktop, but it should run, methinks.  Maybe Sun said that
they're not supporting the sun4m arch, and I missed that, but it does
seem to work.  If someone can point us to where Sun says what
architectures
are supported?

Thanks for helping a confused old-timer.

--
David Strom