[SunHELP] track fs growth

Tue Jan 28 23:28:35 CST 2003

Thanks for the suggests Kurt and Will its on my oracle db server.
I was a little vague in my original post, my apologies.
It's actually on my "binary" mount point where most changes expected are
logging, traces and temp dir output.  But, Hell anything is possible when
you add developers into the equation. What I want is a top-level
(DIR) change summary as opposed to thumbing through lists of files. I
like the idea of pumping change data in to a table and putting in a
little bit of math and substr'n to produce an acceptable report.  I'll
work on that.

TA

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt Huhn [mailto:kurt at k-huhn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 8:53 AM
To: Markham, Richard
Subject: Re: [SunHELP] track fs growth

"Markham, Richard" <RMarkham at hafeleamericas.com> wrote:

> Anyone devised a method of tracking down FS growth?
> example:  I have  a particular mount point thats growing nearly 1%
> per day and was curious if there was a little script someone has
> thrown together to help point to where perhaps most change in
> size /or number is occurring.

Which mount point is growing?  What FS?  What OS?  What apps are running
on the system?  It'd be easier to help with more info...

Off the top of my head, you could use 'du', pipe the results to a file,
format so that the results are usable (but will likely already be
useable), and compare the file to the previous day's results.

If you want to get slick, you could even stick the results in a MySQL or
PostgresSQL database and give yourself a lot of flexibility in comparing
file sizes.  This will require fairly good knowledge of SQL scripting to
find something easily though.

--
Kurt                "I remember that I've got a solid base of worms and
kurt at k-huhn.com      ant eggs.  I puke like a hero all night long."