[SunHELP] strange 'who am i' problem

Eddie Watkins eddie.watkins at mail.moray.gov.uk
Thu Apr 3 08:15:00 CST 2003

Solved it using 'tty | cut -d"/" -f4 >file.out'

Eddie Watkins
The Moray Council
email: eddie.watkins at moray.gov.uk
tel: 01343 563247

>Hi
>
>I am having a strange problem with one of the logins on our
>server that was
>recently upgraded to Solaris 8.  If I enter the command 'who am i' the
>following line is displayed.
>
>watkine    /dev/pts/16       Apr  3 13:49
>
>But, if i cat this to a file the file only shows
>
>watkine         .      Apr  3 13:49
>

>Another user displays the following to both the screen and any
>file it is
>redirected to.
>
>ops    pts/16       Apr  3 13:49    (user_pc)
>
>Both users are running the korn shell and are in the same
>group.  Can anyone
>tell me how to fix this or suggest another way to grab the users port
>number.  We need this to use as a unique identifier in a filename.

********  The Moray Council: Internet E-mail Notice  ********

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments ('this e-mail')
are confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
If this e-mail has been sent to you by mistake, please notify
postmaster at moray.gov.uk as soon as possible; you should then
delete this e-mail from your computer.