[SunHELP] strange 'who am i' problem

Eddie Watkins eddie.watkins at mail.moray.gov.uk
Thu Apr 3 07:08:40 CST 2003

Hi

I am having a strange problem with one of the logins on our server that was
recently upgraded to Solaris 8.  If I enter the command 'who am i' the
following line is displayed.

watkine    /dev/pts/16       Apr  3 13:49

But, if i cat this to a file the file only shows

watkine         .      Apr  3 13:49

Another user displays the following to both the screen and any file it is
redirected to.

ops    pts/16       Apr  3 13:49    (user_pc)

Both users are running the korn shell and are in the same group.  Can anyone
tell me how to fix this or suggest another way to grab the users port
number.  We need this to use as a unique identifier in a filename.

Eddie Watkins
The Moray Council
email: eddie.watkins at mail.moray.gov.uk
tel: 01343 563247

********  The Moray Council: Internet E-mail Notice  ********

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments ('this e-mail')
are confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
If this e-mail has been sent to you by mistake, please notify
postmaster at moray.gov.uk as soon as possible; you should then
delete this e-mail from your computer.