[SunHELP] Slow FTP performance

Paul Khoury pkhoury2 at loop.com
Wed Mar 27 02:13:20 CST 2002

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 15:35:57 -0500 (EST), Dale Ghent wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Paul Khoury wrote:
>
>| Actually, the problem I have is that it takes forever to get the banner
>| and login prompt for FTP to show up.  When trying to FTP from my
>| ThinkPad (Win2K), it takes forever, then says connection closed by host.
>| Telnet works, but it's equally as slow.  Additionally, doing "ftp
>| localhost" from the machine itself takes forever to get the banner and
>| login, but FTP works.
>|
>| I just upgraded to wuftp, but I was still having the problem on one of
>| the machines prior to upgrading.
>
>Are you using tcpd (tcp_wrappers?) It is probably due to slow DNS lookups.

Nope.  Thought about installing it, but didn't do it.
All I have is the latest ver of Apache and PHP (well, I got 1.3.23 a day before 1.3.24 came out),
dev tools (gcc, make, etc), and the only thing I updated was ftp.
FWIW, I can log into one of my machines (cyprus) by telnet quickly from this machine (Win2K
ThinkPad), but it takes forever to get the banner on greece (the other SPARC 5).
Both are almost identical machines, 'except that one is 110MHz, and the other is 70MHz.

Another question since you mentioned NICs.  If I were to add in the 100BT SBUS card,
is it automatically added to /dev after booting up as boot -r?
I'm running a samba server on greece, and eventually would like to take advantage of
higher data transfer speeds (and the port I allocated to it on my 100BT switch).

Paul