[SunHELP] file / directory permissions (resend)

Edward Chase echase at postoffice.providence.edu
Thu Mar 21 13:06:44 CST 2002

Wouldn't Novell NDS for unix be nifty?  I'm having some troubles with
setting permissions.

I'm trying to setup a directory that can be used for several people to drop
and share files in.

So, I've created a group called "filedrop".  I've created a directory
called "filedrop".  I've set directory group  as "filedrop".  I then chmod
the directory to 770.  I then chmod g+s the directory.  Right now every
file that gets put there is given the filedrop group.  However due to the
system umask, the files are given 644 permissions.  I really would like the
files in the directory to be given 664 permission without changing the
system umask or the users umask.  Is there anyway of changing the
permission on the directory to allow this?

Thanks.

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu