[SunHELP] how to change the routing table

Joe Pampel joe at ardsley.com
Thu Mar 7 07:24:28 CST 2002

Basic Process:

look at the routing table
find the bad route.
Delete the bad one
Add the good one.

Also, check in your rc2.d folder to see if there is an S99staticroutes file.
Make sure the routes that get added
at startup are what you want, fix as necc.. Or create an S99staticroutes file
if you don't have one to create
the routing table you want. Just  a text file with the "route add net"
commands you see below.

First, say default route was bad for some reason. You do a netstat -rn
The netstat entry for the default route looks like this:

default          192.168.10.1         UG        1

As root, you would enter:
route delete default 192.168.10.1

You'd probably want to do this from a terminal session as the machine may lose
connectivity when you do this depending
one where you are and how your network is constructed.

To add a new default route to a different host:

route add default 192.168.10.5

For a regular route in the table (not default) , just do:

route add net <network> <gateway>

To delete a regular route,

route delete net <network> <gateway>

hth

Joe

"Sathiyaseelan, Sr.SystEng, SCSM/NCB" wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I have problem here , when i ping the gateway from my server it give ping
is
> not reacherble . when i do a netstat -nr the table showing that server is
> pointing to wrong IP address . How can i change these IP address in the
> routing table so that the server will point the correct gateway .

man route

> I can ping elsewhere but not the gateway switch .pls advice .

better you show us result of "netstat -nr" command. It confusing, you can
ping
elsewhere but not gateway. Which network you can ping and which you can't.
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org