[SunHELP] Support for non-Sun monitors?

Robert Banniza rpbanniz at ascensionhealth.org
Sat Mar 2 22:50:07 CST 2002

I have used a 21" LCD with Creator3D cards in Ultra 10s in the past and
all worked well. The monitors were made by NEC. Everything worked fine
but you are right in stating that there in a little work in getting the
configuration right.

Robert

Robert Banniza
Senior UNIX Administrator
Ascension Health
Phone: 812-228-2157
>>> montek at cs.unc.edu 03/02/02 12:15 PM >>>
Hi All,

We are going in for Sun Blade 1000 workstations for our new lab here at
UNC.
However, we would like to use non-Sun LCD monitors.  I am not too sure,
though, if the combination would work, so I need some advice from you.
In
particular, we are hoping to get the Expert3D-Lite frame buffers, and
the
Viewsonic VM201mb (20.1" LCD flat panel).

I am aware that there are two issues related to compatibility of non-Sun
(=PC) monitors with Sun frame buffers:  (i) appropriate cables and
adapters,
and (ii) a match of resolution and sync rates.

There is no problem as far as (i) is concerned.  Regarding (ii), I have
not
been able to find all the info regarding sync rates.  In particular, the
Viewsonic monitor seems to support 1600x1200 at 66 Hz vertical sync.
The
frame buffer only seems to support that resolution at 75 Hz, so it seems
it
wouldn't work.

However, I have heard that some of Sun's frame buffers can often support
"unlisted" refresh rates, if one were to configure them correctly (lower
level manipulation).  Can someone provide more information on whether
this
can really be done, and how?

Else, can you recommend some other LCD flat panel 20" or above
compatible
monitor that will display 1600x1200 when hooked up to a Sun?

Thanks much,
Montek

PS:  We are looking to buy Viewsonic because Sun currently does not make
flat panel monitors which can support 1600x1200.  The Sun flat panel
monitor
only goes up to 1280x1024.
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org