[SunHELP] SEVM to VXVM Upgrade

Henry Buford III henry.buford at veritas.com
Sat Mar 2 13:45:13 CST 2002

Although I work for Veritas, I don't work particularly for the vxfs team.
However, I have tried this at home and in a lab and found that
unencapsulating the root disk is the easiest way to do this.  The binaries
for solaris 2.5.1 are different from the binaries for solaris 8.  This means
that you can't just upgrade the OS, because when you try to install the new
OS, it won't be able to read the root disk because the necessary binaries
will not be in place and solaris can't read vxfs natively.  So, like I said,
I would unencapsulate the root disk before performing the upgrade.

Henry Buford, III
MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, Sun Certified Solaris Admin I

VERITAS Software
NetBackup DataCenter/BusinesServer Technical Support
Senior Technical Support Analyst
VERITAS Technical Services
Tech Support: 1-800-342-0652
http://support.veritas.com